There’s nothing more fun than going on a long road trip in the summer months when you live in the Fredericksburg, VA area. But, don’t head out without a plan to keep your trip enjoyable and safe. Use these tips from the Pete Webb Agency to ensure that the only excitement that happens in the kind that you plan.
Check Your Vehicle
- Before you go on a summer trip, be sure that your car is in proper working order and basic maintenance has been performed. Keep up with basic car maintenance like tune-ups, oil changes, and tire rotations.
- If anything is getting worn, like your tires, belts, hoses, or your windshield wipers, go ahead and replace these things before you hit the road.
- Check the air pressure on your tires and don’t forget to check that your spare tire has adequate pressure too.
- Look at your owner’s manual to learn how to check all of your fluid levels, like brake fluid, transmission fluid, coolant, and power steering fluid. Add extra fluid if needed before you leave.
Use Safety Conscious Driving
- Don’t ever try to drive while operating a cell phone or other handheld device. For long trips, invest in a blue-tooth headset if your car is not equipped with one so that you can take calls while driving. Otherwise, put your phone on silent until you can return texts and calls while on a break from driving.
- Never try to drive after drinking. Make sure that you have a designated driver or call a cab if you are attending a gathering where you will be drinking.
- Don’t try to drive when you are sleepy. Be sure to plan for adequate rest before you hit the road and don’t be afraid to stop to rest if you start getting tired.
- If you are driving with small children, be sure that they are in properly-installed, properly-sized child restraint seats.
Pack Emergency Supplies
- Make that sure your car has what you will need to change a flat tire, including a tire tool, jack, and spare tire.
- You may want to pack a bag with extra snacks and water, just in case you were to get stranded in an isolated area for a few hours.
- Be sure to have a paper map in addition to the one on your cell phone, just in case you have problems with your phone.
- Flares and jumper cables can help you be prepared for emergencies on the road.
Before you head out of town, make sure that your auto insurance is up to date and covers any possible problems on the road. For more information about auto insurance in the Fredericksburg, VA area, contact the Pete Webb Agency.